Welcome to my Blog!

I discovered I have a congenital heart condition at the beginning of 2010. This blog is so that I can share my journey through all the tests, and ultimately open heart surgery. Because I am a Registered Nurse, I feel I can give a unique perspective, from both a professional and personal point of view.

Read the blogs from the oldest to the newest (July 10 ones first)

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Support systems

I have the most amazing friends - they are the ones who stuck by me when I was going through my divorce. My friends have been my main support system because my family lives interstate or overseas. Last year I had to have a biopsy of two breast lumps which were found on a routine ultrasound - Marilyn came and supported me through that, and has been there for many many other difficult times. Brenda has been there to drive me and pick me up from hospital - she arrived at the hospital just after the staff had resuscitated me after an angiogram, and the look on her face brought it home to me how serious the situation was. Both of these friends have had parents who have gone through open heart surgery, so it's pretty confronting for them watching me go through it, but their support has been amazing.

Over the last through years my life has changed incredibly but the only constant has been my job. It's reassuring to know that it will stay the same. I can feel normal there!! Working with nurses is great - they are trained to support people, and most of them are drawn to the profession because of their caring nature. They are always there to give me a hug or to say the right thing, and their advice is always right on target. My boss was the first one to know about this apart from my best friends, and she has been really supportive of me.

My family, although separated by distance, has given me great support this year. I think it has brought us closer together. I've had fantastic conversations with each one of them and even though our outlook on life is different, it's good to know my family are there. My sister is going to drop everything to come and look after me and my boys which is fantastic.

My sons, young as they are, have been my rocks. They have really matured this year and they have stepped up to the plate. Dan is learning to cook and bake and Jordan has taken over a lot of the taxi service (dropping me & Dan at work and school) and the gardening. I'm incredibly proud of them. Dan's school has been supportive of him as well which is awesome.

I've had support from unexpected sources: Facebook has put me in touch with people I grew up with who I haven't seen in about 25 years, and some of them have sent me really supportive messages. People are so caring. I tend to withdraw into myself when I'm going through a hard time but I'm learning to reach out more. The support is out there when you need it, you just have to ask.

Thanks to all these people and to others I may have forgotten. I will always be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment